Thursday, March 11, 2010

Psalm 6

David pleads with God (vs. 1-7)—Whatever the circumstances behind this psalm, David believed the Lord was angry with him: “O LORD, do not rebuke me in Your anger, nor chasten me in Your hot displeasure” (v. 1). The king pleads weakness, which does describe the human condition, but is no excuse for sin (v. 2); since he also mentions in verse 2 that his “bones are troubled,” it’s possible that he was ill. This could be further supported by verse 5: “For in death there is no remembrance of You; in the grave who will give You thanks?” But in verse 7, he refers to his enemies, so this could simply be another case of David being sore pressed by some regional army; or, we mustn’t forget, that David wasn’t king until he was 30. His troubles with Saul were also very vexing to him, and that could be the situation behind this poem.

Regardless, he asks the question most all of us have asked at one time or another: “But You, O LORD--how long?” (v. 3). Relief from trial rarely comes immediately, but David’s attitude is correct when he says “Oh, save me for Your mercies' sake!” (v. 4). “Don’t do it for me, do it that You might be glorified.” His sorrow is really pitiful: “I am weary with my groaning; all night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears” (v. 6). But the poetical language is certainly eloquent and dramatic.

The Lord answers David (vs. 8-10)—“The LORD has heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer” (v. 9). What a wonderful thing it is when Jehovah, in His time and “for [His] mercies’ sake” answers our prayers. With the Lord on his side, David could say, “Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity; for the Lord has heard the voice of my weeping.” (v. 8). David is confident now that he will be able to meet and defeat whoever, or whatever, confronts him because God stands with him. Indeed, now it will be his enemies who will be tormented: “Let all my enemies be ashamed and greatly troubled; Let them turn back and be ashamed suddenly” (v. 10).

Nobody, even the most righteous, escapes trials and sorrows in this life. Though David doesn’t mention any particular sin he has committed, He believes the Lord is angry with him, and why else would God be? Sin has consequences, and they must be faced up to. But David appeals for mercy and understanding, (v. 2), and believes the Lord will hear him. And, indeed, the Lord answers him and David regains his spiritual confidence. Turn to God, not away from Him, when this life’s burdens become overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment