Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Psalm 38

The burden of sin (vs. 1-22)—This whole psalm appears to be a mourning over sin. David believes that the Lord is very angry with him (vs. 1-2). That’s an interesting thought. How does David know God is angry with him? Did the Lord tell him by revelation? Probably not. David simply believed that “because of my sin” (v. 3), and his current circumstances, the Lord was punishing him. David speaks several times of physical infirmities--“there is no soundness in my flesh” (v. 3), “my wounds are foul and festering” (v. 5), “my loins are full of inflammation, and there is no soundness in my flesh” (v. 7). This could be poetic and not literal, but the repeated mentioning of physical maladies leads me to believe that David is truly plagued at the moment with some illness. And he attributes that to the Lord chastising him because of sin. His sin had overpowered him: “For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden they are too heavy for me” (v. 4). Indeed, all who try to live godly know that feeling, but, of course, such is no excuse for sin. He pleads his case before Jehovah (v. 9); there is no one else to help. His own heart and strength fail him (v. 10), his loved ones, friends, and relatives “stand aloof” and “afar off” (v. 11). And his enemies plot his destruction (v. 12). But there was nothing David could do about it. He was as helpless as a deaf and dumb man (vs. 13-14). However, he believes the Lord will hear him (v. 15) and deliver him (v. 16). David has just about reached his limit, or believes he has (v. 17). His attitude towards his sin is the correct one: “For I will declare my iniquity; I will be in anguish over my sin” (v. 18). Oh, that more people would have such a spirit! But he opposed by strong foes, and numerous ones (v. 19). They are against him “because I follow what is good” (v. 20), though apparently he hadn’t done so in the present circumstance. He makes one last plea to Jehovah: “Do not forsake me, O LORD; O my God, be not far from me! Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!” (vs. 21-22). It’s enlightening that there is no resolution here. Unlike many earlier psalms where David makes his petition and then glorifies the Lord because of a positive answer, this song is left indefinite. As of the final writing, God had not answered David. And indeed, that is frequently how we feel. Contrary to our desires, the Lord delays His answer and our soul is in anguish. We must wait on Him and accept the consequences of our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment